All loving cat-owners know that having a cat around is rewarding in itself—many of us can’t imagine life without our fur babies! As Sigmund Freud once said, “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” There are a few good reasons for having a feline in the house besides a warmed lap. Here are five ways in which cats enrich the lives of their humans:
1. They’re good for your heart! Pets in general are good for your heart, but especially cats. Cat owners find that their stress levels drop more so than even dog owners (maybe because felines don’t require as much effort as canines), and experience less anxiety in their lives. Also, we can all confirm that their antics frequently serve as a comic relief. How about the purring? Petting a cat is therapeutic and calming. Interestingly, studies have shown that those who own cats are less likely to die of a heart attack or stroke than those who do not have cats.
2. They provide a sense of companionship. Who says dogs are more affectionate than cats? Contrary to popular belief, many cats love to interact with their loving owners and often initiate contact. Go ahead and stroke that soft coat and hold him in your lap—both you and your cat will benefit from the time together!
3. A coping mechanism. Through any type of struggle or loss, cats help their owners get through it. One of the best parts about having a pet is the ability to speak without fear of judgment or negative response. Work through complex thoughts and feelings, have a good cry, and rest easy knowing that your feline companion is there to offer purrs and cuddles of comfort.
4. They teach responsibility and empathy. For those who have children, owning a cat shows them how to care for something besides themselves and to consider how their actions affect other individuals. A consistent feeding and litter box-cleaning schedule teaches the importance of self-discipline, sticking with a routine, and putting others’ needs before their own. A lesson in responsibility has never been so rewarding!
5. They help you get social. Owning a cat provides ample opportunity for starting conversation with new acquaintances, which lends itself to great sociability. Good news for single guys: a study has shown that women are more attracted to men who own or have owned cats, as it suggests that they are more sensitive and intelligent. Or maybe they just know that cat people are the best kind of people.
We’re pretty sure you didn’t need a list of reasons to confirm why owning a cat enhances the quality of your life, but we hope you learned something new! As your trusted cat veterinarian, we’re here to ensure that your precious pet has a long, healthy life ahead of her. Be sure to contact us with any questions or appointment requests!