If your family has been considering getting a cat, gift-giving holidays always spark that little bit of excitement about if a cat is a good gift to give. Whether you’re an experienced pet owner or your household is currently pet-free, this question can leave you with a lot of doubts. You’re thinking about space, money, and if your kids are ready. It’s a lot to consider. If you’re trying to decide if you should get a pet this holiday season, you’re probably wondering “do cats make good gifts?” The answer is yes! However, there are a few things to consider before making your final decision, and the Cat Clinic at Cherry Hill is here to help.
Is a Cat a Good Gift For Your Family?
It can be exciting to think of getting or giving a cat as a gift, but here are the facts to consider before deciding if a cat will be a good gift for your family this holiday season:
- As far as pets go, cats are a little lower maintenance than dogs. Cats do need you to play with them, feed them, and pay attention to them, however their litter box gives you a little more flexibility when it comes to leaving the house. If you’ve got a busy lifestyle, cats are a great pet.
- However, cats, like dogs, need love and affection. Some cats may be a little antisocial, but the truth is, most cats enjoy cuddling and hanging out with you in some aspect. But just like dogs, it depends on the cat! All animals have their own personalities, so it’s a good idea to meet the animal before adopting.
- If this gift is for your children, it’s important to remember some kids may be allergic to cats! So be sure you know what your family’s tolerance for cats is when it comes to allergies.
- If you’re trying to give a sense of responsibility to your kids, then a cat is a big helper! Cleaning the litter box is a task that needs to be done pretty regularly, so your child can take ownership of helping care for your furry friend.
- Just like any pet, cats do require food, toys, treats, and regular trips to the vet. Although the initial excitement of receiving a cat on a holiday can tend to overshadow finances, it’s important to know if there’s room in your budget to keep your cat happy and healthy!
Cats Do Make Great Gifts – Learn More with the Cat Clinic at Cherry Hill
There’s a lot to consider before getting your family a pet, and cats do make great gifts, but if you’re not quite sure yet, that’s okay! It’s important not to rush into your decision. If you’d like to talk one-on-one with a vet about what it takes to adopt a cat, call the Cat Clinic at Cherry Hill. We’re happy to walk you through all the responsibilities of cat-ownership, as well as what it takes to keep them happy and healthy. Just give us a call at 856-662-2662! And don’t forget! We often host or participate in adoption events for whenever you’re ready to add a new friend to your family this holiday season. You can also learn more about cat ownership by visiting our blog!